There have been a lot of coffee marketing ploys and schemes over the years; more than I can count.
Some of them are not the most honest, but this latest "coffee for weight loss" really had me thinking, and made me want to check some facts.
To be blunt: this is a scam. That said, the latest coffee for weight loss scheme is gaining a lot of popularity; hence why I wanted to write this article. I would hate to see you get played or scammed, and I'm sure you would not want that either.
In this article you will learn:
- Why exactly this is a scam
- Scientifically proven methods to lose weight (as relates to coffee)
- What you need to do to use coffee as a means of weight loss
But before we get into all of that, you have probably seen the ads across social media in the last couple of weeks.
They all claim that all you have to do is drink this "miracle" coffee and you will lose weight. Although this sounds ridiculous, they are getting consumers to purchase it because of the following.
They are using real people to endorse their product; creating the illusion of it working miracles.
By now, we are all familiar with the same type of marketing ploys that pyramid schemes have been using.
However, they are adapting; and this is simply another form of this type of scam. Instead of offering you an easy way to make a ton of cash, they are presenting this "miracle coffee" that is supposed to make you lose weight simply by drinking it.
That said, you may be wondering if it is, in fact, possible to lose weight with coffee; and the answer is yes... in a sense. There is a lot of false information floating around however, so let's clear the air about this.
How to Lose Weight With Coffee...For Real
Real scientific studies have proven that individuals who drink at least 2 cups of coffee per day are more likely to lose weight than those who don't consume any coffee.
Now for the caveat: this is when there is already a weight loss routine in place. While I don't doubt the validity of these studies, coffee can play a (small) part in your weight loss journey.
Your daily cup of coffee may not be slimming your waist as you sip it, but it does help. Here's a further explanation:
Caffeine works to stimulate your nervous system. This causes your body to begin producing some adrenaline.
Combined, this sends signals to your brain to begin breaking down fat and insert it into your bloodstream.
Additionally, coffee will also increase your metabolic rate by 11-13%. This will allow your body to use stored fat and convert it into energy.
While this all sounds great, these benefits will not be there unless you are following a proper diet and getting exercise.
Tips for Using Coffee for Weight LossCoffee can help you to lose weight, but not by itself; there are other factors involved. Some things that you can do to make the coffee work for you as relates to weight loss include:
- Cutting out the cream and sugar - these two things alone will negate the positive benefits that coffee can have. Instead, find a coffee that you enjoy black or use a zero-calorie sweetener such as liquid stevia.
- Consume coffee before exercise - Because of the nervous system and adrenaline boosts, coffee can improve your overall endurance. It also provides you with more energy to power through your exercise sessions.
- Stave off laziness - leading a primarily sedentary lifestyle can start to add on the extra weight and fat. Drink a cup of coffee when you are feeling sluggish and could use that energy boost.
- Don't drink coffee at night - drinking coffee late in the evening or even afternoon can alter your sleep patterns, and not for the better. Getting the right amount of sleep and waking up feeling well-rested is incredibly important to weight loss.
Don't Like Black Coffee?
Chances are if you find that you don't enjoy black coffee, you are either drinking the wrong level of roast, or the coffee you are consuming has gone stale.
The way that we as consumers purchase coffee in America has not worked well for a while now. There are two reasons for this:
- Low-grade grocery store coffee - not only is the coffee sold in grocery stores unsustainable for coffee farmers, but i is also low-grade and lacks the flavor of fresh coffee.
- Stale grocery store coffee - coffee beans lose their freshness after only 2-3 weeks post-roast. This is far later than what you are purchasing in the grocery store.
However, there is a different side of coffee that tastes much fresher, and you may find that you prefer it black.
Your new best friend is going to be "specialty coffee". Officially rated special grade by quality testers around the globe, they are fresh and host a variety of different flavors to choose from.
The major downside is that most grocery stores simply don't sell this type of coffee. That is why to get the freshest and best tasting coffee, you are better off ordering from a roaster online.
Not only will the coffee beans be fresh, but you are helping to support coffee farmers from around the world.
The real way to lose weight drinking coffee is to eliminate the sugars and cream that we have become accustomed to.